Your hair can get dry because your scalp doesn’t produce enough oil to moisturize your hair, or your hair lets moisture escape.Hair has no natural lubrication. It relies on oils made in the hair root to keep your hair moisturized and looking lustrous.
Sometimes hair doesn’t produce enough oil, which leads to dry hair. (Likewise, roots in overdrive lead to oily and greasy hair.) As you age, your hair naturally makes less oil.
You need regular hair oiling if your hair is subjected to any of the following:
- Over-washing or using a harsh shampoo strips away your hair's natural oils
- Blow drying your hair too often -- especially when you apply alcohol-based styling products first
- Using heated hair straighteners or curling irons
- Exposing your hair to lots of sun, wind, or dry air
- Applying chemical treatments, including dyes, perms, and relaxers